A Legal Legacy Dating Back To 1935
The roots of McKay, Burton & Thurman reach back to 1935 when three well-known Utah lawyers, Henry D. Moyle, David Lawrence McKay and Lynn S. Richards, formed a partnership. Their initial legal practice involved water rights, oil, gas, mining and related matters. Over time the firm added attorneys and it developed into a general practice, full-service law office.
In 1945, Lynn Richards left the firm and was replaced by Wilford M. Burton, who had just completed a successful term as a Salt Lake City judge. At that time, the firm became known as Moyle, McKay & Burton. In April, 1946, Henry D. Moyle resigned his position with the firm after being called to serve as a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
William Taft Thurman practiced with the firm from 1951 to 1961, at which time he was appointed by President Kennedy to serve as a United States Attorney General for the District of Utah. After resigning from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in 1969, William Taft Thurman returned to the firm and later became a named partner, effectively changing the name to McKay, Burton & Thurman.
With the addition of Delyle H. Condie as a named partner in the 1970’s, the firm became known as McKay, Burton, Thurman & Condie. When Delyle H. Condie left the firm in 1988, the name of the firm returned to McKay, Burton & Thurman.
More recently, in 2001, William T. Thurman, who had practiced with the firm since 1974, was appointed to serve as a United States Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Utah. And in 2010, Joel T. Marker, who started with McKay Burton & Thurman upon his graduation from the University of Utah in 1984, joined Judge Thurman as a bankruptcy judge for the District of Utah.
For more than 80 years, McKay, Burton & Thurman has been honored to represent a variety of clients from many walks of life seeking solutions to numerous and diverse legal problems.